|Many bowel incontinence sufferers choose Wellness|
because of their absorbency rate.
There are a variety of different causes of bowel incontinence. It is important to understand what causes bowel incontinence in order to find the most effective solution to managing it. The causes of bowel incontinence can include but are not limited to:
- Childbirth-One of the most common causes of bowel incontinence is damage to muscles and nerves that may occur directly at the time of vaginal childbirth. Many women can experience this problem even years after childbirth has occurred.
- Anal or rectal surgery can often result in bowel incontinence. This occurs when the muscles or nerves that control the sphincter muscles have been traumatized or damaged.
- Neurologic diseases such as stroke, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury, and spina bifida can also cause fecal incontinence. It has also been shown that complications of diabetes can also cause peripheral nerve damage leading to incontinence.
Once the cause has been determined it is important that steps are taken to make the individual with this condition as comfortable as possible. If bowel incontinence is not treated in a proper and effective manner, it can leave the person with serious health problems ranging from skin irritation to serious infections. This makes it crucial that certain steps are taken. These steps should include:
- Choosing the right incontinence product-Not all incontinence products are made to deal with bowel incontinence. The wearer of this product or caregiver will need to make sure that they are choosing a incontinence undergarment that is made to deal with bowel incontinence and will provide the highest degree of protection. When the proper incontinence supplies are used when managing bowel incontinence not only is the wearer more comfortable but is also protected against further health problems. Studies have shown that many bowel incontinence sufferers choose Abena, Tranquility and Wellness because of their absorbency rate.
- Having the right cleaning supplies-Delicate skin can be irritated by coming into contact with fecal matter. This is especially true for those individuals who have fragile or aging skin. There are many different cleaning products from specially formulated wipes to gloves that can be used when changing an incontinence undergarment. This is crucial in helping to manage bowel incontinence.
- Skin protection-Not only is it important that the skin of the person with bowel incontinence be kept clean but also that their skin is protected. Today, there are many different skin care products that are made to provide a barrier between the incontinence undergarment and the skin of the wearer. This helps to prevent adult diaper rash and skin breakdown that can lead to other serious health problems.
About The CareGiver Partnership. The CareGiver Partnership helps caregivers and their loved ones with answers to their caregiving questions, including information about home health care products and supplies, from our Wisconsin-based team of Product Specialists who are all current or former caregivers. The company’s Web site provides the largest online library of resources on subjects most important to caregivers — from arthritis to assisted living, and Parkinson’s to prostate cancer — as well as access to more than 3,000 home care products for incontinence, skin care, mobility, home safety and daily living aids. The CareGiver Partnership was founded in 2004 by Lynn Wilson of Neenah, Wisc. Visithttp://www.caregiverpartnership.com to learn more or call 1-800-985-1353.