- Remind the person where the bathroom is located, and encourage a regular schedule.
- Ensure the path to the bathroom is clear of obstacles and well lit. Provide visual cues by painting the bathroom door a contrasting color and posting a toilet sign on the door.
- Make a bathroom safer with grab bars, a raised toilet seat and nightlights.
- Provide clothing that is easy to remove, with no complicated belts or buttons.
- Use an IncontinenceProduct Finder to choose disposable undergarments by style, selecting a type your loved one can easily get on and off.
- Explain the importance of keeping skin clean, moisturized and protected, using products made to prevent breakdown and infection.
- Protect bedding and furniture with disposable pads.
- Never withhold fluids, which can lead to dangerous dehydration, but encourage your loved one to cut back before bedtime.
Watch this video on how to use our free Incontinence Product Finder tool.