|When you want to give a gift for the senior in your life.|
When my Mom moved into Assisted Living there were a number of things she didn’t need to take with her. In addition, after a full lifetime of receiving gifts from family and friends it seemed like she already had everything! However, when the holidays rolled around our family still wanted to give her gifts she would really like and use but we were stumped as to what those could be. We checked out medical stores and home and health care supply stores but they just didn’t seem to have anything right for mom. It was only after doing some research we were able to come up with gifts that were things Mom really wanted and loved to have.
When you want to give a gift for the senior in your life who is now in assisted living it's important to really think about what they can use, how they will use it and if it will fit into their current living arrangements. The following are suggestions which can work well for seniors who living in a variety of different assisted living circumstances.
- Calendars-There are a variety of different types of calendars. Choose one that reflects the senior’s interest or personalize one with the pictures and birthdays of their loved ones.
- E-Readers-Many seniors have difficulty reading a regular book but appreciate the fact they can enlarge the print on a e-reader. Just be sure to load some of the senior’s favorite books on before giving it to them.
- Wireless headphones-You can enhance TV viewing with wireless headphones. This is especially useful for the senior who may be struggling with minor hearing loss.
- Cards and stamps-Many seniors want to send cards but both getting to the store and taking on the cost can be prohibitive. A selection of different cards and some stamps can be a highly thoughtful gift. Preaddressing them and putting a sticky note on them as a reminder of dates of birthdays and anniversaries is helpful. They can be kept in a expander file with a slot for each month.
- Craft supplies-Seniors who like to craft can find both the expense and the difficulty of getting to a craft store forcing them to give up something they love. If you know what your senior likes to do, indulge them with a selection of craft materials for whatever it is they love to do.
- Games and Activities. Here is a great multipurpose activity center for seniors which includes games, puzzles and more. Ideal for those with Alzheimers or Parkinson’s.
- Practical gifts-Food, help with bills, or even a gift certificate to their favorite hair salon can be a wonderful gift.. These small items may not seem like much but they can make a big difference to a senior who is on a fixed income.
Many seniors who are in assisted living still have family members who are caring for them on a part-time basis. Many of these family members are spending their own money to assist the senior in their life. Finding out what the senior needs and what the caregiver is concerned about can help to determine an appropriate and often times a much needed gift for the senior. At The CareGiver Partnership they understand the needs of caregivers and offer supplies which can help make caring for the elderly loved one in your life a little easier. A big concern for many caregivers is the lack of mobility the senior in their life may be experiencing. Stander mobility products can help to make seniors more independant and safer as they move about their assisted living facility. Some of these mobility products are:
- Security Pole with Optional Curve Grab Bar-Stander’s Security Pole with optional Curve Grab Bar provides safe, secure support for sitting, standing or for getting to a walker, wheelchair or other mobility device. Because wall mounts are not needed, it can be moved to any room in the senior’s home.
- Assist-A-Tray-This handy device features a sturdy, ergonomically designed handle for safety and improved balance when getting in or out of a sitting position and a handy multi-use swivel laptop/TV tray with cup holder and utensil compartment. Assist-A -Tray is perfect for a laptop, crafts or dining.
- Bed Rail Advantage-The Bed Rail Advantage can be moved easily from bed to bed and allows the senior to easily get up from bed with something secure to hang on to. Best of it features a cushion grip handle and bonus Organizer Pouch with 4 large pockets which is perfect for keeping small items close by.
Since 2004, The Caregiver Partnership has been helping people just like you. Whether you are a caregiver or you are someone who wants to give a meaningful gift to a senior there are options for you to choose from. If you have questions there are knowledgeable Product Specialists you can speak with when you call 1-800-985-1353.
|Call us. We're here to help.|